Sunday 10 January 2010

Berlin

Berlin is an enormous city. We had just two nights here and I believe you need at least five to see everything! nevertheless I had a great time and found it to be a very historical and educational city. First thing we saw as we were driving to our motel were random broken parts of the Berlin wall which still stand, only minus the barbed wire and gunmen ready to shoot at any person who dared to cross over. Instead the government have allowed various art students and professionals to paint stunning pictures, memorials and messages all over it. It's actually quite a unique part of the city now. We Climbed to the top of the 'Parliament House' which is a fantastic thing to do to get a view of the city & after this went out for one of our pre-organised meals where I tried pumpkin and orange soup! Sounds crazy I know but it was delicious!

We hit the town this night as it was Brett's birthday and he wanted to party! Poor guy didn't make it too far as pretty much all 50 people on our trip bought him a shot or drink of some sort and he ended up heading home quite early and vomiting all over the sink, shower and floor of the bathroom in his room! I happen to know this first hand as he was rooming with Rhys (my contiki fuck buddy) and I found it all when I went to use the bathroom... NICE!!!

The next day all hungover beyond imaginable we had to be up at 8am for a guided walking tour of the city. I felt so sorry for the poor tour guide as I don't really think a single one of us was listening to a word he was saying and every time we stopped to talk about a certain building or monument we pretty much all sat down and looked up at him like children on a school excursion!
After the tour ended the rest of the day was free time for us to do whatever we wished... pretty much EVERYONE went back to the motel to sleep but I was determined to visit the Hard Rock (something I do in every city that has one) so Jodie and I ventured there. After a few lost attempts at trying to find the street it was on we finally made it, and I bumped into a friend of mine (William Rossoni) who was doing his Manager in training there at the time... Small world huh?
For dinner that night we went to a fantastic German restaurant where I had steak and a very traditional Apple Strudel which was just Heavenly!

Ich werde Dich Bald wieder sehen Berlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment